Learn to love teaching agian. How to make teaching the career you have always dreamed of.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

We learn fear from the practice of teaching

These fears are of the unknown, the fear of the overwhelming truth, or the fear that if we look too hard at the tough questions we might actually find answers and if we are part of the problem then we would then have to change. What do we do as educators? We, consciously and unconsciously, focus our attention on the things that we can change and measure and not attempt to tackle the hard questions by changing things that are not easy to measure. I think I fist realized this in my 5th year of teaching. I was at a high school that had 21 languages in it feeder schools, 68% free and reduced lunch, pregnancy, relatives in jail, very low family education, and low SES. The list could go on and on. In one of our faculty meetings the principal made a point to thank one of the secretaries because she cut back our school’s order of yellow high lighters to our district office. She saved the school money and was proactive. Don’t get me wrong, I am glad she took the initiative to save some money but… YELLOW HIGHLIGTERS!!! AT A FACULTY MEETING!!!?? What about the real problems? What about the things that will change lives? What about the students and our community? What about changing the world? At the time I was young and afraid and said nothing. I regret it to this day. That was the beginning of letting go of the fear of rejection or ridicule and doing what needed to be done and saying what needed to be said. I have gone back an forth over the years with speaking out and asking the hard questions for everyone to hear. Even to this day it is a struggle but I MUST let go of the fear of ridicule and of isolation and be the “real me” and to stand up for what I believe is right.


“… when we deeply probe the fundamental workings of the universe we may come upon aspects that are vastly different from our expectations. The boldness of asking deep questions may require unforeseen flexibility if we are to accept the answers.”

~Brain Green, The Elegant Universe

I believe that we sometimes kid ourselves into focusing on the easy things because the real problems are so overwhelming and difficult that we are afraid to look at them. If we asked the hard questions we will know what needs to be done. But sadly we do nothing out of fear of ridicule or fear of failure. However, I believe that we will fail ever time if we do not accept the challenge of looking at the difficult questions and the tribulations of trying to answer them.

Our doubts are traitors
and make us lose the good
we oft might win
by fearing to attempt.

~William Shakespeare

Do what needs to be done.
 
Shawn

No comments: